Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Caterpillar is a Major Part of Peoria's Dilemma

In the past 52 weeks or less, CAT stock has dropped 25 points meaning that ownership of 1000 shares leaves the investor with a $25,000 paper loss. Some time back, on my blog site, I asked if Cat was not a $70 stock. It is now only 16 points from a price at least one analyst predicted. And the future may continue to look bleak as mining industries have also gone in a steep decline. Today, CNBC reported that home prices had flattened out which may also affect CAT. Newmont Mining, an Australian mining company, where ex-CAT president, Glen Barton was once and may still be the prime board memb, has seen it's stock prices suffer dearly while purchases from CAT may be in a decline.

It is not likely that CAT will soon make a decision on where to locate it's promised new world headquarters. With the market doing back-flips, and many analysts predicting another recession, the future for Peoria, with it's deficit balances galore and commitments extra-ordinary. may find itself in a greater dilemma than today. Under any circumstances expect use of more public body levy money (if there is any room to raise) and some tax increases, taxpayers will also see rising fees like the garbage fee to become more common as City, County, Park, Museum, Civic Center, GPSD, Peoria and Dunlap public schools, etc., face less revenue, excessive expenses and expensive, crowded public schools

I doubt that CAT is remotely interested in locating their world headquarters elsewhere, Even though it may be in the best interests of the company. Should the stockholders demand a change of world headquarters, I don't believe the board would, and CAT built their new WH elsewhere, Peoria may never recover from the loss of this Fortune 500 with their prestige, tax revenues, jobs, etc.

Little of what I write surprises me. Read all my blogs dealing with excessive public expenditures, rising fees and taxes and cost of living in Peoria, dating back to 2004, I have tried to warn of not "letting facts get in the way" of our elected officials. I stand on my own voting record over the 10 years I spent on the County Board. And the company I founded 51 years ago still stands as the leader in it's field in Peoria and possibly elsewhere.

From a deficit position in 2000, I left the board in 2010 with more than adequate fund balances. I hear and read that that is not the case today. I "toot" my own horn as the local media seldom, if ever, did.

2 comments:

Merle Widmer said...

Cat closed at $80 Friday with many analysts expecting the stock to drop further. Estimates are for a better future perhaps 2 years from now but there is never a guarantee of anyone's future.

Cat did raise dividends again as they have every years for the past many years.

My large (relatively)investment in IMAX has proven to be a better bet. I second guessed myself on TASER that I once suggested as a good buy and that cost me a bundle in gains as the stock rose dramatically as I sold.

Merle Widmer said...

When Cat announced they would stay in Peoria, I bought 2500 shares. Then I did more research and sold 2 days later at a 6 cent per share profit. At least I got out in time as Cat if trading 5 points below where I sold. Keep the stock and I have a $12,500 paper loss. Sorry,investors, but Cat stock is going nowhere until there is a greater demand for their product and that may be years away.