Friday, January 28, 2011

Florida - Great Tennis Weather

I've been in SW Florida for one month. It was tennis playing weather for all but two days. The local public clubs draw a lot of players. No problem in getting a game. I planned to play Grand Prix senior tournaments but was greatly disappointed in the way the 85 Division was handled. Even though I seldom play singles anynore, I signed up to play singles and doubles for fear I would not find a doubles partner. The tournament director was inconsiderate of age. My first singles match started at 2:30. I won 3-6, 6-3, 6-2 with the match lasting till 5:00. I was too tired to go to the players party. The next day I was required to be back on the court at 11:00 playing singles against a person who I had played well against several times over the years. He had drawn a bye. I had nothing left in the tank and I lost badly. Then at 2:30 that afternoon, I was required to play my first doubles match. Because of injuries, that match was the finals. My partner, Bill Mitchell from Cleveland was the 87 year old I defeated yesterday in singles playing against the guy that beat me in singles and his partner who had not played any matches.

John Seigrist from E. Peoria and Florida also played in the same tournament losing his first round singles and first round consolation singles. John is good player but the competition in his age bracket was fierce as it also is in allthe lower age bracket torunaments.

We lost 2-6, 1-6 as both of had not regained our strength from the 2 1/2 hour singles match less than 21 hours ago.

I tried to play the next tournaments but there was no 85 doubles. I still had little energy left for singles. We played at high noon and I lost badly. While the sun was the same for him as for me, he lives in SW Florida and Floridans handle the sun and wind better then we snowbirds.

While disappointed in the way the tournament was handled with no consideration for age or the fact that all of us older guys who live in the north play our tennis at 8 or 9 in the AM or in the evenings, I am greatly enjoying drop in tennis. Usually 20-30 players ranging from the late 50's to my age. I more than hold my own. This AM, I played in Ft. Myers and tomorrow morning, I will start playing in Sarasota. After I watch the 3 AM Eastern time Australian Open woman's finals.

While the tenniw plqyers in Peoria are playing hardcourt indoor tennis, Floridans are playing outdoors 12 months a year all on clay. After 10 years on the Peoria County Board, I am finally relaxed and enjoying the best weather in the country. And when I am not worn out, playing some of my best tennis.

I believe by the time Gov. Quinn and the politicians in Illinois get done wrecking this state, more people will be moving out than in the past. I talked to one person who just bought a home in Florida and is moving out of Barrington.

I count my blessing that I was a conservative on the Peoria County Board and that I am no longer involved in the public sector.

I've earned a long vacation. Unfortunately, I will need to return before winter is over.

No comments: