Friday, January 28, 2011

Coaching Change Positions in Illinois

My predictions are that there will be a major coaching change at Bradley and two major coaching changes at Illinois. Possibly one in Chicago, if not this year, next year for certain.

As a former head coach in high school, a sports player and watcher since I was 13, I can tell the difference between good coaching and mediocre coaching. I was at times, both. Good and mediocre. My excuse, I attended a country grade school with no sports. My high school career was nothing to brag about but I grew and developed. A gold ball for being a basketball starter on an Army traveling team Division Champion. My most memorable feat was scoring 16 points at Fort Dix who at that time was the best traveling service team in the nation. I guarded 6'8" Junius Kellog (20 points before I fouled out) who later starred at Manhattan College and was the first player to report a bribe for shaving points that eventually brought down Bradley, Kentucky and other major colleges. The scandal of 1950-51 has kept "Squeaky" Melchoirre out of the Bradley Hall of Fame even 50 years later.

Kellog was also the first black man to ever play on a service traveling sports team. Why the first? Read your history.

Anyway, worry not about the financials future of fired coaches. Most are set for life and if not, they didn't plan ahead.

No comments: