Tuesday, December 14, 2010

"A Pompous Pile of Dung"

This comment was in an email sent to me about how badly members of the AFSCME were treated by the County of Peoria. This, as usual, anonymous union member, complained that they work on Holidays. Well, if a handful do, they get paid substantial overtime wages. Thought you all were complaining about the pay. Oh, he/she says they are complaining about not getting paid if they took up to 15 days of furlough or other unpaid days when they wish to not work. Or there is not enough work to keep all employees in the AFSCME employed preventing full time layoffs.

He/She says they are "persicuted" for using any sick time. Gosh, file a grievance, then. He/She then says "earning from the County allow us to live on cat food..." Gosh, I'd look for a better paying job. The Peoria County non-unionized private sector has them by the dozens, unfortunately, jobs only for those who are qualified.

He/She says the county does not "bargan" in good faith" and "iis" .....(four misspelled words from he/she so far), and that the board gave themselves 100% raises. Wow, I should keep working since I figured wrong, I guess. I thought I was making around $8000 a year or an average of about $10-12 an hour.

He/She also said the county bought a lot of furniture from Widmers. What a shame I sold out in 1992, 8 years before I was elected to the County Board. I missed out on all that capitalistic profit that supports public sector workers. Maybe county purchasing bought from my old company because it had a superior product and service. Anyway, I wasn't in purchasing at the county.

He/She said the county doesn't pay for their pensions. Anyway you cut it, the taxpayers pays part of it. He/She doesn't mention that the county pays $2 out of every $3 dollars of health insurance, allows up to 6 weeks paid vacations, has generous sick leave policies, paid personal days, free gym, oh, what the heck, now that I'm retired I'm going to the county in the morning and apply for a job.

Workers in the public sector protected by belligerent unions like the AFSCME seldom had it so good while employed in the worst economy in 70 years. I suggest he/she apply for a job in the private sector where maybe only 12-15 qualified people are seeking the same job probably so many because they won't have to pay union dues to support only Democrat politicians.

Good luck, he/she. Don't forget to apply for a JS Christmas basket, no cat food there.

And Merry Christmas.

No comments: