Saturday, November 27, 2004

Stock Market Tips

A little humor from my daughter Nancy who thinks I misunderstood the terminology my brokers were using regarding the financial advice I’ve received from them over the years:

Broker: What you are this year compared to last year.
Bear market: Where Smokie buys his grocers.
Bull market: A bar filled with horny guys.
Stock analyst: cow psychiatrist
Merrill Lynch: What you’d like to do to Merrill.
Market turnaround: Oops…I forgot the milk.
Schwab: What pirates do to the decks of their shwips.
Day trader: E-Bay obsessed.
Bonds: Helluva baseball player.
Prime rate: What a good steak sets you back.
Allan Greenspan: God.

Thanks, Nancy, now I know why my portfolio investments are moving forward like “a herd of turtles in a windstorm”.

3 comments:

Willy Nilly said...

Merle,
Why not weigh in on the Mayors Race?
http://worldofwillynilly.blogspot.com/


Thanks,
Willy Nilly

Willy Nilly said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Merle Widmer said...

Willy Nilly,

Ok, I'll do some lightweight weighing in on the mayoral race. I've made no personal decision yet but here are some observations:

Eric Turner - voted for all the major "enhancements" downtown, starting with the major boo-boo, the Riverplex. (Loses $6-7,000 a day) He takes credit for bringing the ball park downtown. (The ball club missed their projections by a mere 93,000 last season). I still don't see the new business downtown justifying the $4,000,000.00 plus the city spent on the ball park surroundings. He supported One Tech Plaza (Peoria County vacated their space this year, a mistake to have ever been coecered into buying in the first place) He supported the Gateway Plaza a totally underused facility and not living up to it's hype. He supports the zoo,which when built will lose about the same amount the RP losses, year in and year out. Eric works for Cat which is both a big plus and a minus for the general business health of the community and anything that is built is a plus for Caterpillar. That's enough about Eric but I doubt I could be convinced to support a candidate who never saw a tax dollar he didn't like.

Bruce Brown who is a friend has a fund-raiser Sunday December 5 1:30 - 3:30 Joe Metzka Trio. I'm going.

Jim Ardis, a friend who I helped get elected to his first time. Jim supported me and I like his position on many issues expecially his take on how the city has got to become more involved in Peoria School Dist #150.
So far city action has been mostly small talk.

Ardis has a fund raiser on Sunday Dec. 12 from 2:00 - 5:00 P.M. at American Pi. I'm going.

The current mayor has the big money behind him. Not mine and if I had big bucks, probably not invest to the mayoral race. I do look for someone who would work with the county more closely than Dave. (and more openly)

Enough said for now until I hear more on each candidates position which I will judge agaist their records.