Friday, April 27, 2012

Woodruff Career and Technical Center - Looks to be a Crowning Success of the Board and Superintendent

This first year pilot program appears to be running smoothly. A very capable Principal, Diann Duke, gave me a explanatory tour of what I hoped I would see. She did not disappoint me. Even the athletic facilities were being used by Woodruff students or by other needy groups. That includes the  pool, the track, and the ball diamond.

The building offers a large cosmetology Dept that will offer hands-on experience. Most of the vocational programs that were cut by former Superintendent Strand and an elite (everybody is going to college and hold a white collar job, spear-headed by Board member Linda Daly) school board, will be offered to all #150 students and others from Peoria County.

The building also houses early age disciplined schooling  for the very young in a separate part of this large building.

The present success and an expanding future for this vocational school is a special joy for me, I have written letters to the editors of the JS, posted 6 blogs including my first one, "Disaster Day 1993 at District 150", 8/5/05  and my last one, "District #150 Continued Embarrassment to the City of Peoria" dated 4/21/2008.

All in support of this type of school, promised by many boards and adminstrations but brought to life by Superintendent Lathan and the present board.

All blogs may be found by entering Dist. #150 on the search bar above my profile.

No comments: